Benchmark with production logs. Replay them at a constant request rate. Measure
the response time and look at the median and 90th or 95th percentile. Do not
use the average response time, because that will be thrown off by outliers.

It is best to run a few thousand warming queries before starting the measured
benchmark run. That will load some results into the caches and will also load
the index files into OS file buffers.

Restart the processes between benchmark runs to clear the caches.

My benchmark runs are about an hour long, not counting warming and analysis.

I always configure Solr with enough RAM that all the indexes fit into OS file
buffers. With that, disk speed only matters for startup and indexing.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wun...@wunderwood.org