Chuck, see my responses inline below:

> On Sep 25, 2018, at 12:50 PM, Chuck Reynolds <creyno...@ancestry.com> wrote:
> The bottom line is I guess I'm confused by the documentation and the
> reference to replicas. Normally when referring to replicas in the
> documentation it is referring to the number of times you want the data
> replicated. As in replication factor.  That's where the confusion was for me.

We can always use help improving Solr’s documentation, and your perspective is
valuable.  Please see https://wiki.apache.org/solr/HowToContribute and open
JIRA issues with the problems you find, and ideally with patches against the
ref guide sources.

From the Solr 6.4 ref guide’s “Solr Glossary”:

  Replica: A Core that acts as a physical copy of a Shard in a SolrCloud
Collection.

As ^^ indicates, a “replica” is not a replication factor.  (Though “replica:1”
in a rule-based replica placement rule is a condition on replica *count*, so I
can see where that could be confusing.)

> If I want to create a rule that insures that my replication factor of three
> correctly shards the data across three AZ so if I was to lose one or even two
> AZ's in AWS Solr would still have 1 - 2 copies of the data.   How would that
> rule work?

I thought I already answered that exact question:

> If you mean “exactly one Solr instance in an AZ must host exactly one replica
> of each shard of the collection”, then yes, that makes sense :).
>
> Okay, one more try :) - here are the rules that should do the trick for you
> (i.e., what I wrote in the previous sentence):
>
> -----
> rule=shard:*,replica:1,sysprop.AWSAZ:AZ1
> &rule=shard:*,replica:1,sysprop.AWSAZ:AZ2
> &rule=shard:*,replica:1,sysprop.AWSAZ:AZ3
> -----

Have you tried ^^ ?

--
Steve