My concern with using g1 is solely based on finding this.
Does anyone have any information on this?

https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/JavaBugs#Oracle_Java_.2F_Sun_Java_.2F_OpenJDK_Bugs

"Do not, under any circumstances, run Lucene with the G1 garbage collector.
Lucene's test suite fails with the G1 garbage collector on a regular basis,
including bugs that cause index corruption. There is no person on this
planet that seems to understand such bugs (see
https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8038348, open for over a year), so
don't count on the situation changing soon. This information is not out of
date, and don't think that the next oracle java release will fix the
situation."

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 11:08 AM Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
wrote:

> We’ve been running G1 in prod for at least 18 months. Our biggest cluster
> is 48 machines, each with 36 CPUs, running 6.6.2. We also run it on our
> 4.10.4 master/slave cluster.
>
> wunder
> Walter Underwood
> wun...@wunderwood.org
>
> > On Sep 26, 2018, at 7:37 AM, Jeff Courtade <courtadej...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for that...
> > I am just starting to look at this I was unaware of the license debacle.
> >
> > Automated testing up to 10 is great.
> >
> > I am still curious about the GC1 being supported now...
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 10:25 AM Zisis T. <zist...@runbox.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Jeff Courtade wrote
> >>
> >> I believe you should be safe to go with G1. We've applied it in in a
> Solr
> >> 6.6 cluster with 10 shards, 3 replicas per shard and an index of about
> >> 500GB
> >> (1,5T counting all replicas) and it works extremely well (throughput >
> >> 99%).
> >> The use-case includes complex search queries and faceting.
> >> There is also this post you can use as a starting point
> >>

> http://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2017/06/apache-solr-memory-tuning-for-production/
> >>

> >> --
> >> Sent from: http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/Solr-User-f472068.html
> >>
> > --