You can expect as many connection evictor threads as the number of http
client instances. This is true for both Solr 6.6 and 7.x.

I was intrigued as to why you were not seeing the same threads in both
versions. It turns out that I made a mistake in the patch I committed in
SOLR-9290 where instead of using Solr's DefaultSolrThreadFactory which
names threads with a proper prefix, I used Java's DefaultThreadFactory
which names threads like pool-123-thread-1282. So if you take a thread dump
from Solr 6.6, you should be able to find threads named like these which
are sleeping at a similar place in the stack.

--
Regards,
Shalin Shekhar Mangar.