Jeremy,

Great troubleshooting!  You were spot on.

I've posted a new patch that fixes the issue.

        Erik

On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:53 PM, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:

After a bit more investigating, it appears that any facet tree where the first item is numerical or boolean or some non-textual type does not produce any
secondary facets.  This includes sint, sfloat, boolean and such.

For instance, on the sample index:

 facet.tree=sku,cat => works
 facet.tree=cat,sku => works
 facet.tree=manu_exact,cat => works
 facet.tree=cat,manu_exact => works
 facet.tree=popularity,inStock => fails
 facet.tree=inStock,popularity => fails
 facet.tree=manu_exact,weight => works
 facet.tree=weight,manu_exact => fails

I'm not very familiar with the Solr / Lucene Java API, so this is slow going here. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree, but is the TermQuery for the secondary SimpleFacet messing up some how? I tried to dig into the code, but
was unsuccessful.

It appears to me that the searcher never returns a docSet for any TermQuery
where the field being searched has a type that is non-textual.

As a final test, I changed the schema and made the inStock field a 'text' field instead of 'boolean'. When I did that, and reindexed the sample data then the
tree facet would work correctly as either facet.tree=cat,inStock or
facet.tree=inStock,cat. Whereas before it would only work in the former.

enjoy,

-jeremy