I've done some experiments about indexing RefGuide (from source) into
Solr at: https://github.com/arafalov/solr-refguide-indexing . But the
problem was creating UI, hosting, etc.

There was also a thought (mine) of either shipping RefGuide in Solr
with pre-built index as an example or even just shipping an index with
links to the live version. Both of these were complicated because PDF
was throwing the publication schedule of. And also because we are
trying to make Solr distribution smaller, not bigger. A bit of a
catch-22 there. But maybe now it could be revisited.

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. A personal offline copy of Solr RefGuide could certainly be built
from source. And it will become even easier to do that soon. But yes,
perhaps a compressed download of HTML version would be a nice
replacement of PDF.