If you have a SolrCloud installation that is somehow working for you,
personally I would never upgrade. The software is getting progressively
more unstable every release.

I wrote most of the core of SolrCloud in a prototype fashion many, many
years ago. Only Yonik’s isolated work is solid and most of my work still
stands as it was. This situation has me abandoning that project so that
people understand I won’t stand by garbage work.

Given that no one seems to understand what is happening in SolrCloud under
the covers or how it was intended to work, their best bet is to start
rewriting. Until they do this, I recommend you do not upgrade from an
install that is working for your needs. A new feature will not be worth the
headaches.

Some of the other committers, who certainly do not understand the scope of
the problem or my code (they would have touched it a bit if they did) would
prefer to laugh or form a defensive posture than fix the situation. Wait
them out. The project will collapse or get better. If I ran a production
instance of SolrCloud, I would wait to see which happens first before
embracing any update.

At this point, the best way to use Solr is as it’s always been - avoid
SolrCloud and setup your own system in standalone mode. If I had to build a
new Solr install today, this is what I would do.

In my opinion, the companies that have been claiming to back Solr and
SolrCloud have been negligent, and all of the users are paying the price.
It hasn’t been my job to work on it in any real fashion since 2012. I’m
sorry I couldn’t help improve the situation for you.

Take it for what it’s worth. To some, not much I’m sure.

Mark Miller
--
- Mark

http://about.me/markrmiller