Hey Mark,

I was actually expecting (and wanting) this after your LinkedIn post.

At this point, the best way to use Solr is as it’s always been - avoid
> SolrCloud and setup your own system in standalone mode.

That's what I have been telling people who are just getting started with
Solr and thinking that SolrCloud is actually something superior to the
standalone mode. That may depend on the use case, but for me, I always
prefer to achieve things from standalone perspective instead of investing
my time over switching to Cloud.

I handle Auto-Suggest at IndiaMART. We have over 60 million docs. Single
server of *standalone* Solr is capable of handling 800 req/sec. In fact, on
production, we get ~300 req/sec and the single Solr is still able to
provide responses within 25 ms!

Anyways, I don't think that the project was a failure. All these were the
small drops of the big Solr Ocean. We, the community and you, tried, we
tested and we are still here as the open community of one of the most
powerful search platforms. SolrCloud was also needed to be introduced at
some time. Notwithstanding, I do think that the project needs to be more
open with community commits. The community and open-sourceness of Solr is
what I used to love over those of ElasticSearch's.

Anyways, keep rocking! You have already left your footprints into the
history of this beast project. 🤘

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 at 09:10, Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Now one company thinks I’m after them because they were the main source of
> the jokes.
>
> Companies is not a typo.
>
> If you are using Solr to make or save tons of money or run your business
> and you employee developers, please include yourself in this list.
>
> You are taking and in my opinion Solr is going down. It’s all against your
> own interest even.
>
> I know of enough people that want to solve this now, that it’s likely only
> a matter of time before they fix the situation - you ever know though.
> Things change, people get new jobs, jobs change. It will take at least 3-6
> months to make things reasonable even with a good group banding together.
>
> But if you are extracting value from this project and have Solr developers
> - id like to think you have enough of a stake in this to think about
> changing the approach everyone has been taking. It’s not working, and the
> longer it goes on, the harder it’s getting to fix things.
>

> --
> - Mark
>
> http://about.me/markrmiller

Regards,

*Paras Lehana* [65871]
Development Engineer, Auto-Suggest,
IndiaMART Intermesh Ltd.

8th Floor, Tower A, Advant-Navis Business Park, Sector 142,
Noida, UP, IN - 201303

Mob.: +91-9560911996
Work: 01203916600 | Extn:  *8173*

--