> Let’s instead find a new good name for the cluster type. Standalone kind
> of works
> for me, but I see it can be confused with single-node.

Yeah, I've typically referred to it as "standalone", but I don't think it's
descriptive enough. I can see why some people have been calling it
"master/slave" mode in lieu of a more descriptive alternative. I think a
new name (other than "standalone" or "legacy") would be superb.

We have also discussed replacing SolrCloud (which is a terrible name) with
> something more descriptive.

Today: SolrCloud vs Master/slave
> Alt A: SolrCloud vs Standalone
> Alt B: SolrCloud vs Legacy
> Alt C: Clustered vs Independent
> Alt D: Clustered vs Manual mode

+1 SolrCloud is even less descriptive and IMHO just sounds silly at this
point.

re: "Clustered" vs Independent/Manual. The thing I don't like about that is
that you typically have clusters in both modes. I think the key distinction
is whether Solr "manages" the cluster automatically for you or whether you
manage it manually yourself.

What do you think about:
Alt E: "Managed Clustering" vs. "Unmanaged Clustering" Mode
Alt F:  "Managed Clustering" vs. "Manual Clustering" Mode
?

I think I prefer option F.

Trey Grainger
Founder, Searchkernel