those from the wiki: http://localhost:8983/solr/core0/select?q=*:*
> Do you see links from the index page?
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this

> Are there any messages in the log files?

This looks like the key. The output is a bit difficult to follow but I
found the most likely reason: the txt files were missing (stopwords.txt,
synonyms.txt ...) and then the fieldtype definitions failed. After I
copied the complete conf dir over to multicore it is almost working now.

Only problems: I get this warning:
2009-02-09 16:27:31.177::WARN:  /solr/admin/
java.lang.IllegalStateException: STREAM
        at org.mortbay.jetty.Response.getWriter(Response.java:571)
[lots more]

and both cores seem to reference the old single core data. If I do a
search both give (the same) results (from the old core), I expected them
to be empty, searching in a newly created index somewhere below the
"multicore" dir.

I couldn't find a datadir definition so I still don't know how to add a
real second core (not just two cores with the same data).

Any ideas?

Thanks so far
Michael