Yes, the two are similar.  As a matter of fact, Zoie is one of the case studies
you'll find in the soon to be published Lucene in Action 2nd edition.  I just
reviewed this very informative case study a few weeks ago and I think people
will like it and will likely end up using Zoie until we get true near real-time
search added to Lucene and then Solr.

Otis