This might be possible with the Solr Cell contrib (i.e ExtractingRequestHandler) since it can parse XML and extract from XML, but that it is slightly different from what you are asking for, I think. See http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ExtractingRequestHandler You might also want to check out Tika,

-Grant