Yao Ge schrieb:

Maybe we should call this "alternative search terms" or
"suggested search terms" instead of spell checking. It is
misleading as there is no right or wrong in spelling, there
is only popular (term frequency?) alternatives.

I had exactly the same difficulty in understanding the concept
because of the name given to the feature, which usually denotes
just what it says, i.e. a spellchecker, which is driven by an
authoritative dictionary and a set of rules, as integrated in
word processors, in order to ensure orthography.

What we have here is quite different from a spellchecker.

IMHO, a name conveying the actual meaning, along the lines of
"suggest", would make more sense.

Michael Ludwig