I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe it's already come up. Have
you turned on the garbage collection logging to see if the jvm is busy
cleaning up when you are seeing the slowness? Maybe the jvm is
struggling to keep the heap size within a particular limit?

//Ed

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:22 AM, Jeff Newburn<jnewb...@zappos.com> wrote:
> [...]
> problem?
>
> Dismax Config below:
> <requestHandler name="dismax" class="solr.DisMaxRequestHandler"
> default="true">
> ?
> <lst name="defaults">
> <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
> <float name="tie">0.5</float>
> ?
> <str name="qf">
>
>               productId^10.0
>
>                personality^8.0
>                subCategory^8.0
>                category^6.0
>                productType^5.0
>
>                brandName^1.0
>                realBrandName^1.0
>                productNameSearch^1.0
>
>                size^1.2
>                width^1.0
>                heelHeight^1.0
>
>                productDescription^1.0
>                color^10.0
>                price^1.0
>                attrs^5.0
>
>                expandedGender^0.5
>
> </str>
> ?
> <str name="pf">
>
>            attrs^3 brandName^10.0 productNameSearch^8.0
> productDescription^2.0 personality^4.0 subCategory^12.0 category^10.0
> productType^8.0
>
> </str>
> ?
> <str name="fl">
>
>                productId, productName, price, originalPrice,
> brandNameFacet, productRating, imageUrl, productUrl, isNew, onSale, styleId
>
> </str>
> <str name="mm">100%</str>
> <int name="ps">1</int>
> <int name="qs">5</int>
> <str name="q.alt">*:*</str>
> <!-- More like this search parameters -->
> ?
> <str name="mlt.fl">
> brandNameFacet,productTypeFacet,productName,categoryFacet,subCategoryFacet,p
> ersonalityFacet,colorFacet,heelHeight,expandedGender
> </str>
> <int name="mlt.mindf">1</int>
> <int name="mlt.mintf">1</int>
> </lst>
> ?
> <arr name="last-components">
> <str>spellcheck</str>
> </arr>
> </requestHandler>
>
> --
> Jeff Newburn
> Software Engineer, Zappos.com
> jnewb...@zappos.com - 702-943-7562
>

>> From: Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
>> Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 00:36:30 -0400
>> To: <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
>> Subject: Re: Random Slowness
>>

>> On Jul 21, 2009, at 6:52 PM, Jeff Newburn wrote:
>>
>>> We are experiencing random slowness on certain queries.  I have been
>>> unable
>>> to diagnose what the issue is.  We are using SOLR 1.4 and 99.99% of
>>> queries
>>> return in under 250 ms.  The remaining queries are returning in 2-5
>>> for no apparent reason.  There does not seem to be any commonality