On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Jeff Newburn<jnewb...@zappos.com> wrote:
> How do I go about enabling the gc logging for solr?

It depends how you are running solr. You basically want to make sure
that when the JVM is started up with the java command, that it gets
some additional arguments [1]. So for example if you are running solr
using jetty you would:

  java -verbose:gc -Xloggc:solr_gc.log -jar start.jar

And then poke around in the log looking for garbage collection events
that take as long as the pauses you are seeing in your app. I think
there are tools that will help you analyze the log files if you need
them. If there is a correlation you'll probably want to tune your solr
memory usage with  -xMx and -xMs.

Hope this helps.

//Ed

[1] http://java.sun.com/javase/7/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html