Hi Chris, thanks for replying!

OK, now I'm going to take the bait ;)

I am talking about field boosting rather than document boosting, ie. I
would like some fields (say eg. title) to be "louder" than others,
across ALL documents.  I believe you are at least partially talking
about document boosting, which clearly applies on a per-document basis.

If it helps, consider a schema version of the following, from
org.apache.solr.common.SolrInputDocument:

  /**
   * Adds a field with the given name, value and boost.  If a field with
the name already exists, then it is updated to
   * the new value and boost.
   *
   * @param name Name of the field to add
   * @param value Value of the field
   * @param boost Boost value for the field
   */
  public void addField(String name, Object value, float boost )
  {
    SolrInputField field = _fields.get( name );
    if( field == null || field.value == null ) {
      setField(name, value, boost);
    }
    else {
      field.addValue( value, boost );
    }
  }

Where a constant boost value is applied consistently to a given field.
That is what I was mistakenly hoping to achieve in the schema.  I still
think it would be a good idea BTW.  Regards,

Ian.