> > What is numFound when you execute this query?
> >
> > http://localhost:8983/solr/select?q=long_description:terminator&fl=sku,title,long_description&hl=true&hl.fl=long_description&fq=sku:10699058
>
> The response is: <result name="response" numFound="1"
> start="0">
>
> The odd thing is that if I do a search in the
> long_description files I do get the highlighted summary
> returned ok (your query produced a highlight). But if I want
> to search only the title, but specify the long_description
> as a highlight field, the result is empty highlighting list.

Interesting there is a parameter (hl.requireFieldMatch) about this but default
value is false.

Are you using some default highlighting parameters defined in solrconfig.xml?
You can see them appending &echoParams=all

Are field type of title and long_description the same?

Maybe your browser cache is deceiving you?