Your response contradicts the wiki's description of mergeFactor:
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrPerformanceFactors#mergeFactor
-- which clearly states that the indexes are merged into a single segment.
It makes no reference to "optimize" to trigger this condition.  If what you
say is true, and we agree that the mergeFactor is the upper bound of the
number of segments, then what is the lower bound of the number of segments
seen for an index that has not been optimized?  Always 2, or some function
of mergeFactor?

~ David Smiley