Thanks for clearing that up guys, I misspoke slightly. It's just that, in a
running system, it's probably very rare that there is only a single segment
for any meaningful length of time. Unless that merge-down-to-one occurs
right when indexing stops there will almost always be a new (small) segment
following immediately after the merge. It would be interesting to observe,
over a long time, how often and for how long everything is merged down to a
single segment.

Probably with a very low mergeFactor (2 or 3?) merges-to-one might occur
often enough to make optimizing unnecessary. But I'm guessing that the
merge-to-one happens so infrequently in most situations that optimizing is
more important.

-Jay