On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 2:20 PM, David Smiley @MITRE.org
<dsmi...@mitre.org> wrote:
> I've always thought that these two events were effectively equivalent.  --
> the results of an optimize vs the results of Lucene _naturally_ merging all
> segments together into one.

Correct.  Occasionally one hit's a "major" merge and as few as 1
segment is produced.

Think about the odometer in your car (if you have one that spins).
Each digit is the number of segments of that size... so the total
number of segments in the index is the total of the digits.  You
naturally get back to a single segment whenever it rolls over to the
next highest power of 10 (mergeFactor=10).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com