How many outstanding queries do you have at a time? Is it possible
that when you start, you have only a few queries executing concurrently
but as your test runs you have hundreds?

This really is a question of how your load test is structured. You might
get a better sense of how it works if your tester had a limited number
of threads running so the max concurrent requests SOLR was serving
at once were capped (30, 50, whatever).

But no, I wouldn't expect SOLR to bog down the way you're describing
just because it was running for a while.

HTH
Erick