You've probably already looked at this, but here goes anyway. The
first question probably should have been "what are you measuring"?
I've been fooled before by looking at, say, average response time
and extrapolating. You're getting 20 qps if your response time is
1 second, but you have 20 threads running simultaneously, ditto
if you're getting 2 second response time and 40 threads. So....

And what is "response time"? It would clarify things a lot if you
broke out which parts of the operation are taking the time. Going
from memory, debugQuery=on will let you know how much time
was spent in various operations in SOLR. It's important to know
whether it was the searching, assembling the response, or
transmitting the data back to the client. If your timings are
all just how long it takes the response to get back to the
client, you could even be hammered by network latency.

How many threads does it take to peg the CPU? And what
response times are you getting when your number of threads is
around 10?

Erick