I dont mean to turn this into a sales pitch, but there is a tool for Java app
performance management that you may find helpful. Its called New Relic
(www.newrelic.com) and the tool can be installed in 2 minutes. It can give
you very deep visibility inside Solr and other Java apps. (Full disclosure I
work at New Relic.)
Mike