Srikanth,

I don't know anything about Endeca, so I can't compare Solr to it.
However, I know Solr is powerful. Very powerful.
So, maybe you should tell us more about your needs to get a good answer.

As a response to your second question: You should not expect that Solr is
a database. It is an index-server. A database makes your data save. If there
goes something wrong - which is always possible - Solr gives no warranties.
Maybe someone other can tell you more about this topic.

- Mitch