: The measurement was done outside our Solr client which sends the update
: and then the commit to the handler. I also see the update-URL call in
: the Tomcat Manager taking up that amount of time.

so it's the full request time, and would be inclusive of any postCommit
event handlers -- that's important to know.  the logs will help clear up
wether the underlying "commit" is really taking up a large amount of time
or if it's some postCommit even (like spellcheck index building, or
snapshooting, etc...)

: > what do your Solr logs say about the commit, and the subsequent
: > newSearcher?
:
: How can I get such logs? I was asking for in the second mail do this

it depends on what servlet container you use to run Solr, and how it's
configured.  In the simple the "java -jar start.jar" jetty setup used for
the Solr example, jetty dumps them to STDOUT in your console.  But most
servlet containers will write log messages to a file someplace (and even
jetty will log to a file if it's configured to do so -- most production
instance are)

-Hoss