>Have you looked at the garbage collector statistics? I've experienced this
>kind of issues in the past
and I was getting huge spikes when the GC was doing its job.

I haven't, and I'm not sure what a good way to monitor this is. The
problem occurs maybe once a week on a server. Should I run jstat the
whole time and redirect the output to a log file? Is there another way
to get that info?

Also, I was suspecting GC myself. So, if it is the problem, what do I
do about it? It seems like increasing RAM might make the problem worse
because it would wait longer to GC, then it would have more to do.