Most likely explanation: the Analyzer you're using at
query time isn't matching what the Analyzer does
at index time. For instance, the casing is different
(or a myriad of other things). Or you're not actually
querying on the field you think you are.

Please post the definitions for the field from your
schema file. Post the queries you're attempting.
Post the results of your query with
&debug=on. I agree it's probably something simple,
but without seeing what you're doing it's hard to
guess.

You might take a look at:

Best
Erick