I'm struggling with this very same problem.  I can index the example files
fine. When I try adding a custom file, it appears to index without issue;
but I get no search results via the admin console.  I've also tried
modifying one of the files (monitor.xml); it also did not update.  I'm using
solr 1.4.1 on a MAC.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I added these fields to the schema.xml
                <field name="AD" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
                        multiValued="true" />
                <field name="COL" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
                        multiValued="true" />
                <field name="TI" type="text" indexed="true" stored="true"
                        multiValued="true" />

Here's my custom xml:

<add><doc>
                <field name="id">ZS00001</field>
                <field name="AD">ZS00001</field>
                <field name="COL">RW</field>
                <field name="TI">How to index Solr on the Mac</field>
</doc></add>

I cd to the exampledocs dir and run: java -jar post.jar my_data.xml

Here are the results:

SimplePostTool: version 1.2
SimplePostTool: WARNING: Make sure your XML documents are encoded in UTF-8,
other encodings are not currently supported
SimplePostTool: POSTing files to http://localhost:8983/solr/update..
SimplePostTool: POSTing file tr_single.xml
SimplePostTool: COMMITting Solr index changes..

So, it appears to have indexed without issue, but yet when I search for the
ZS00001, I get not results.

Thanks in advance