I believe I may have solved this. After a more careful reading of SOLR-1653, I noticed that they referred to another filter. I changed my configuration from /solr/.PatternReplaceCharFilterFactory to /solr/.PatternReplaceFilterFactory and updated the XML syntax appropriately, and it looks OK now. This filter is not mentioned on the wiki page dealing with analyzers, which is why I did not use it from the start. When I searched that page for regex, the CharFilter was the only one that came up.