We have a set of documents - which have a standard set of fields.
However they can also have an arbitary number of custom fields which may
each have a value. So some docs may look like

id: 1
title: Document 1
created: 2010-10-09 15:23:00
custom_fields:
        - foo : 5
    - bar : 6

id: 2
title: Document 2
created: 2010-10-07 12:23:00
custom_fields:
    - bar  : 3
    - quux : 2

id: 3
title: Document 3
created: 2010-09-18 09:11:00
custom_fields:
    - foo  : 9
    - quux : 1

The problem is that we'd like to sort on the custom field. I did have
the thought that maybe I could turn custom field into a multivalued
field and then collapse the fields and then sort them lexically

custom_fields: [ foo_5, bar_6 ]

but, of course, it's not possible to sort a multi valued field.

So, is there a possible workaround? Install some plugin? Use a sort
function?

Thanks,

Simon