I'm confused. What do you mean that a user can "set any
number of arbitrarily named fields on a document". It sounds
like you are talking about a user adding arbitrarily may entries
to a multi-valued field? Or is it some kind of key:value pairs
in a field in your schema?

Under any circumstances, sorting on a multi-valued field is...er...
hard. What does sorting mean there? Sort by the first value entered?
The second? The 15th? This is indeterminate behavior.

What is the over-arching problem you're addressing? I wonder
if this is an XY problem. see:
http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem

Best
Erick