On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Bing Li <lbl...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> When updates are replicated to slave servers, it is supposed that the
> updates are merged with the existing indexes and readings on them can be
> done concurrently. If so, the queries must be responded instantly. That's
> what I mean "appending". Does it happen in Solr?
[...]

If you look at the last point in the section "How does the slave replicate?"
on the replication page, http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrReplication , you
will note that a commit is issued on the slave Solr server *after* replication
finishes, so that new/updated documents become available for querying
only then.

Do not personally have much experience with this, but if you need real-time
search feature like you seem to be describing above, I would look at
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NearRealtimeSearch
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/NearRealtimeSearchTuning
and recent threads on the subject on this mailing list.

Regards,
Gora