Also, reduce your commit frequency, if you are doing an initial import.
You only need to commit (manually) once all of your content has been
imported.

I gave a talk about this sort of thing last week at the Online
Information Show in London, and am attempting to get the slides put
online, when I can get access to the account I need to do it!

Upayavira