: Personally, the mm parameter makes my head hurt.
: As I read it, there are actually 4 buckets that rules apply to, not three
: in your mm definition, see below.

If you have Smiley and Pugh's Solr book, check out pages 138-140...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PacktBook2009

I created the "mm" syntax and wrote all the parsing code, and i *still*
found their explanation clearer then any way i have ever tried to
explain it.

In particular, they point out that the easiest way to understand it is to
read the "num<rule" pairs right to left and if none of them "match"  then
100% of the clauses are required -- i had never considered it that way
(and honestly i was so use to "my" way of thinking about 'mm' that for
several minutes i thought they had made a major mistake) but it is bar
none the simplest way to understand the syntax.

-Hoss