Hello list,

i want to experiment with the new SolrCloud feature. So far, I got
absolutely no experience in distributed search with Solr.
However, there are some things that remain unclear to me:

1 ) What is the usecase of a collection?
As far as I understood: A collection is the same as a core but in a
distributed sense. It contains a set of cores on one or multiple machines.
It makes sense that all the cores in a collection got the same schema and
solrconfig - right?
Can someone tell me if I understood the concept of a collection correctly?

2 ) The wiki says this will cause an update
-Durl=http://localhost:8983/solr/collection1/update
However, as far as I know this cause an update to a CORE named "collection1"
at localhost:8983, not to the full collection. Am I correct here?
So *I* have to care about consistency between the different replicas inside
my cloud?

3 ) If I got replicas of the same shard inside a collection, how does
SolrCloud determine that two documents in a result set are equal? Is it
neccessary to define a unique key? Is it random which of the two documents
is picked into the final resultset?

---
I think these are my most basic questions.
However, there is one more tricky thing:

If I understood the collection-idea correctly: What happens if I create two
cores and each core belongs to a different collection and THEN I do a SWAP.
Say: core1->collection1, core2->collection2
SWAP core1,core2
Does core2 now maps to collection1?

Thank you!