A "collection" is your data, like newspaper articles or movie titles.
It is a user-level concept, not really a Solr design concept.

A "core" is a Solr/Lucene index. It is addressable as
solr/collection-name on one machine.

You can use a core to store a collection, or you can break it up among
multiple cores (usually for performance reasons). When you use a core
like this, it is called a "shard". All of the different shards of a
collection form the collection.

Solr has a feature called Distributed Search that presents the
separate shards as if it were one Solr collection. You should set up
Distributed Search first. It does not use SolrCloud, but shows you how
these ideas work. After that, Solr Cloud will make more sense.

Lance