Solr multi-core essentially just lets you run multiple seperate distinct Solr indexes in the same running Solr instance.

It does NOT let you run queries accross multiple cores at once. The cores are just like completely seperate Solr indexes, they are just conveniently running in the same Solr instance. (Which can be easier and more compact to set up than actually setting up seperate Solr instances. And they can share some config more easily. And it _may_ have implications on JVM usage, not sure).

There is no good way in Solr to run a query accross multiple Solr indexes, whether they are multi-core or single cores in seperate Solr doesn't matter.

Your first approach should be to try and put all the data in one Solr index. (one Solr 'core').

Jonathan