On 4/19/2011 1:43 PM, Jan Høydahl wrote:
Hi,

Not possible :)
Lucene compares each matching document against the query and produces a score
for each.
Documents are not compared to eachother like normal sort, that would be way too
costly.

That might be true for sort by 'score' (although even if you have all the scores, it still seems like some kind of sort must be neccesary to see which comes first), but when you sort by a field value, which is also possible, Lucene must be doing some kind of 'normal sort' algorithm, no? Ah, I guess it could just be using each term's position in the index, which is available in constant time, always kept track of in an index? Maybe, I don't know?