On 10/14/2011 2:44 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

: modified the solr/home accordingly.  I have an empty directory under
: tomcat/webapps named after the solr home directory in the context fragment.

if that empty directory has the same base name as your context fragment
(ie: "tomcat/webapps/solr0" and "solr0.xml") that may give you problems
... the entire point of using context fragment files is to define webapps
independently of a simple directory based hierarchy in tomcat/webapps ...
if you have a directory there with the same name you create a conflict --
which webapp should it use, the empty one, or the one specified by your
contextt file?

Looks like that was the problem, once I removed the ./webapps/solr0 directory and started tomcat back up it was recreated correctly.

: I expected to fire up tomcat and have it unpack the war file contents into the
: solr home directory specified in the context fragment, but its empty, as is
: the webapps directory.

that's not what the "solr/home" env variable is for at all.  tomcat will
put the unpacked war where ever it needs/wants to (in theory it could just
load it in memory) ... the point of the solr/home env variable is for you
to tell the solr.war where to find the configuration files for this
context.

Sorry, my mistake. I wasn't referring to "solr/home" I was referring literally to the new solr home under tomcat - in this instance ./webapps/solr0.

One more question, is there a particular advantage of multiple solr instances vs. multiple solr cores?

Thanks.