: I'm implementing a MoreLikeThis search.  I have a couple of questions.
: I'm implementing this with solrj so I would appreciate it if any code
: snippets reflect that.
:
: First, I want to provide the text that Solr should check for
: "interesting words" and do the search on.  This means I don't want to
: specify a document in the collection.  I think the documentation implies

You'll want to make sure you're using the MLT *Handler* (not the MLT
Component) to specify text in that way.  The key phrase you'll want to pay
attention to is "Content Stream"

ContentStream is the general abstraction for streaming data to an solr
RequestHandler, either via raw HTTP POST, or HTTP multi-part mime, or by
asking Solr to pull from a remote URL or local file...

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/MoreLikeThisHandler#Using_ContentStreams
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ContentStream

...the "ContentStreamUpdateRequest" class is somewhat poorly named because
there is nothign about it that requires you use it for an "update"
requests (that's just the primary use of Content Streams), you should
certinly be able to use it to stream content from your SolrJ client to the
MLT Handler...

https://lucene.apache.org/solr/api/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/request/ContentStreamUpdateRequest.html

-Hoss