Hi James,

I can not speak for Sphinx, since I never used it.
However, from reading your requirements there is nothing that fears Solr.

Although Sphinx is written in C++, running Solr on top of a HotSpot JVM
gives you high performance. Furthermore the HotSpot JVM is optimizing
your code at runtime which sometimes allows long-running applications to
run as fast as software written in C++ (and sometimes even faster).

Given that Solr is pretty fast and scalable (90k docs are a really small
index), you should have a closer look at the features each search-server
provides to you and how they suit your needs.

You should always keep in mind that users will gladly wait a few
milliseconds longer for their highly-relevant search-results, but do not
care about a blazing fast 5ms response-time for a collection of
trash-results.
So try to find out what your concrete needs in terms of relevancy are
and which search-server provides you the tools to go.
I am pretty sure that both projects provide you php-client-libraries
etc. for indexing and searching (Solr does).

Kind regards,
Em