I gave up on sphinx and went to solr. I feel it is more mature. For example,
sphinx didn't have an auto start init script and they tried to hit me up for
consultancy fees cos I asked a simple question.

I use php and use solarium php client. Nice oop interface.

Solr has a great community. My initial struggles were with getting it running,
mostly because I don't know much about tomcat and it didn't just work for me as
documented, but once i stumbled through it was ok.

My search results accross 200k documents is instant on a small 512mb
rackspacecloud instance so you will have no probs at all using solr for your
needs.

Sent from my iPhone