Erick -

That is exactly what we are seeing.

this is in our solrconfig.xml:
<enableLazyFieldLoading>false</enableLazyFieldLoading>

and our response times have decreased drastically.  I'm on my 40th-ish test
today and the response times are still 10+ seconds faster on the higher
payload than they were when it was set to true.

Smaller payloads are also about 2.5 seconds faster.