On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 3:32 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Would you hypothesize that lazy field loading could be that much
> slower if a large fraction of fields were selected?

If you actually use the lazy field later, it will cause an extra read
for each field.
If you don't have enough free RAM for the OS to cache the entire index
it could be even worse... the first time reading the document you take
a hit from a real disk seek, then when you go and access those fields
(assuming they have already been evicted from the OS cache) you take
the hit of another disk seek.  Those could really add up.

So if we're actually seeing much worse performance for lazy loading
now than in the past, one guess would be it's due to that scenario in
conjunction with something that is actually accessing the lazy fields.

-Yonik
lucenerevolution.com - Lucene/Solr Open Source Search Conference.
Boston May 7-10