Matt:

Just for paranoia's sake, when I was playing around with this (the
_version_ thing was one of my problems too) I removed the entire data
directory as well as the zoo_data directory between experiments (and
recreated just the data dir). This included various index.2012....
files and the tlog directory on the theory that *maybe* there was some
confusion happening on startup with an already-wonky index.

If you have the energy and tried that it might be helpful information,
but it may also be a total red-herring....

FWIW
Erick