> Do you have the following hard autoCommit in your config (as the stock
server does)?
>     <autoCommit>
>       <maxTime>15000</maxTime>
>       <openSearcher>false</openSearcher>
>     </autoCommit>

I have tried with and without that setting.  When I described running with
auto commit, that setting is what I mean.  I have varied the time in the
range 10,000-60,000 msec.  I have tried this setting with and without soft
commit in the server config file.

I have tried without this setting, but specifying the commit within time in
the solrj client in the add method.

In both these cases, the client seems to overrun the server and out of
memory in the server results.  One clarification I should make is that after
the server gets out of memory, the solrj client does NOT receive an error.
However, the documents indexed do not reliably appear to queries.

Approach #3 is to remove the autocommit in the server config, issue the add
method without commit within, but issue commits in the solrj client with
wait for sync and searcher set to true.  In case #3, I do not see the out of
memory in the server.  However, document index rates are restricted to about
1,000 per second.

 Nick