On Jul 25, 2012, at 2:00 PM, Radim Kolar <h...@filez.com> wrote:

> Mark,
>> You are certainly not using the Solr mark in an approved manner and I'd hope
>> if you are going to take advantage of our mailing list for promotion of your
>> product, that you would not violate our trademark.
> Apache Foundation do not own SOLR (R) trademark. I looked into registry (USA
> and World) and none of them shows apache foundation as owner of SOLR
> trademark.
>
> Trademarks registered to apache foundations in USA are:
> HADOOP, OPENOFFICE.ORG, SUBVERSION
>
> thats all. In world registry, you have nothing at all. Rest of trademarks
> from http://apache.org/foundation/marks/list/ are home-invented ones. Its
> almost impossible to win in court if you do not have your trademark
> registered.

I think that's fine - I'm not a lawyer so I won't comment on whether or not we
have legal rights to the Solr name in Uzbekistan. I know these things are not
so simple. There are both registered and unregistered trademarks and various
international legal complications. But regardless, in general, a non profit
organization is not going to have the resources to go after everyone who
infringes on our project names. I don't threaten legal action.

However, I would attempt to block anyone from our mailing list that was
violating our product naming rules to promote. Violate our rules outside of our
community please ;)

This is a group of volunteers that are part of a non profit. I don't think
legal action is likely. But I do think we will continue to insist on the rules
and to protect our trademark to prevent user confusion and the proper
reputation of the software we produce.

> Even "Apache" is not your trademark anymore. I guess you guys failed to renew.
> *Word Mark * *APACHE*
> *Serial Number* 85100058
> *Abandonment Date* May 23, 2011
> *Owner* The *Apache* Software *Foundation* CORPORATION DELAWARE 1901 Munsey
> Drive Forest Hill MARYLAND 210502747
>
> > Solr is our trademark and third party products must have their own name.
> Solr trademark is owned and properly registered by somebody else. Its YOU who
> is violating registered SOLR trademark.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com