I'm trying to set up two cores that share everything except their
data. (This is for testing: I want to create a parallel index that is
used when running my testing scripts.) I thought that would be
straightforward, and according to the documentation, I thought the
following would work:

<cores adminPath="/admin/cores" host="${host:}" hostPort="${jetty.port:}">
  <core name="MYCORE" instanceDir="MYCORE" />
  <core name="MYCORE_test" instanceDir="MYCORE">
    <property name="dataDir" value="MYCORE_test" />
   </core>
</cores>

I thought that would create a directory structure like this:

solr
  MYCORE
    conf
    data
    MYCORE_test

But it looks like both of the cores are sharing the same index and the
MYCORE_test directory is not created. In addition, I get the followin
in the log file:

INFO: [MYCORE_test] Opening new SolrCore at solr/MYCORE/,
dataDir=solr/MYCORE/data/
WARNING: New index directory detected: old=null new=solr/MYCORE/data/index/

What am I not understanding?