By trial an error, I found that you evidently need to put that
property inline, so this version works:

<cores adminPath="/admin/cores" host="${host:}" hostPort="${jetty.port:}">
  <core name="MYCORE" instanceDir="MYCORE" />
  <core name="MYCORE_test" instanceDir="MYCORE" dataDir="MYCORE_test" />
</cores>

Is the documentation here in error? http://wiki.apache.org/solr/CoreAdmin