First, stop optimizing. You do not need to manually force merges. The system
does a great job. Forcing merges (optimize) uses a lot of CPU and disk IO and
might be the cause of your problem.

Second, the OS will use the "extra" memory for file buffers, which really helps
performance, so you might not need to do anything. This will work better after
you stop forcing merges. A forced merge replaces every file, so the OS needs to
reload everything into file buffers.

wunder